1st Winemakers Evaluation EventOur first evaluation is of finished and bottled wines by local sommeliers and will be on June 26th at Engine 8 Urban Winery (1260 Avenue of the Oaks Unit 150, Sparks NV in Victorian Sq) at 9 AM (get there by 8:30 to complete registration). Three (3) local sommeliers have donated their time to evaluate your wine and provide tasting notes and suggestions. The goal of judging is to determine how your wines standup to their standard and giving recommendations for future vintages. Don't be shy as this is all about helping you make better wine.
- Pre-register by Email (tell us your name and the wines you are bringing). We only planned to evaluate 20 bottles of 10-20 members (1 bottles each and a 2nd bottle based on RSVP date until we reach a total of 20). More than 20 and the sommeliers will have killed their taste buds.
- Cost (Donation Requested Of $5 A Bottle To Offset Food)
- 8:30-9AM: Registration with Coffee & Danish. To save time, please
- 9-11 AM: Evaluations by Type & Variety 11-Noon: Wine Tasting with Pizza
Winemakers Evaluation DaysWe are planning 3 days each year for winemakers to have their wines evaluated by either a pro wine maker or by Sommeliers. In the late fall after wines have fermented and when gross adjustments can be made, in the late winter when wines can be fine tuned, and in the summer for bottled wines.
- WINE JUDGING - of finished and bottled wines by local sommeliers tentatively set for mid June with the goal of judging to determine how they standup to their standard and giving recommendations for future vintages
- FIRST EVALUATION - of new wines by expert winemakers tentatively set for mid November with the goal of helping to identity needs and recommending adjustments
- SECOND EVALUATION - of young wines by expert winemakers tentatively set for mid February with the goal of fine tuning wines for the aging process
Join us for a Sensory tasting class details to enhance your critical tasting ability and learn basic aspects of sensory evaluation often overlooked in most wine tastings. Better tasting will help you make better wine.
FOR NGGW MEMBERS: 1 Course/4 Classes/15 Members/30 People/4 x 90-Minutes
The fee for this event is $175 (for a couple) and includes 10 wines (see details), which we will purchase for you.
Lets get ready to Evaluate our 10 winesHere is what you need:
- Pre-Evaluation Questions (download and/or print yourself)
- 10 wines - To be distributes by Stuart and Dave
- 4 tasting wheels - Red, White, Blush, Sparkling - To be provided by Stuart and Dave with wine
- Course Agenda (download and/or print yourself)
- UC Davis Scoring Explanation (download and/or print yourself)
- UC Davis Scoring Sheet (print one for each wine evaluated and one for taster, i.e. 3 wines and 2 people will need 6 sheets)